24-Hour Prayer & Praise Guideline
2nd Anniversary of 3.11 Tohoku Earthquake & Tsunami March 11, 2013
A Call to Prayer
Throughout history, God’s people have felt compelled to come together in force for times of intense prayer and worship. Seeking God’s face and calling upon His mercy and His grace, Christians throughout the ages have experienced His presence and His answers to their cries! We now call upon the Body of Christ in Tohoku, across Japan and around the world, to come together as ONE on behalf of the hurting people of Tohoku and the nation of Japan! Let us join our hearts on 3.11, the 2nd anniversary of the quake and tsunami, for 24-hours of continuous prayer and worship. God is alive! He listens! He hears! He acts! Let us come before Him with one heart for this nation!
Jeremiah 29:12 – Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.
Daniel 9:17-19 – Now, our God, hear the prayers and petitions of your servant. For your sake, Lord, look with favor on your desolate sanctuary. Give ear, our God, and hear; open your eyes and see the desolation of the city that bears your Name. We do not make requests of you because we are righteous, but because of your great mercy. Lord, listen! Lord, forgive! Lord, hear and act! For your sake, my God, do not delay, because your city and your people bear your Name.
Ways to Pray for the People in Tohoku Who Have Suffered:
- ● Pray for them to feel God’s peace and presence in the midst of pain.
- ● Pray that God would remove the traumatic replay of events plaguing their minds.
- ● Pray for those who may never return to homes that are in the nuclear zone as they restart their lives in
- ● Pray for them to get restful sleep during times of distress.
- ● Pray against any spirits of depression, fear, guilt, and suicide.
- ● Pray for God to give them the strength to accept what has happened and to be able to live in this “new
- ● Pray for marriages, as husbands and wives often grieve differently.
- ● Pray for the children to find safe places to share, outlets for healing, and to know God’s sense of love and
protection (Psalm 91).
- ● Pray for the provision of new homes, schools, parks, and businesses that would help people move on.
- ● Pray for God to continue to raise up communities of believers that can bring Jesus into broken places.
- ● Pray for God to remove the fears of economic instability.
- ● Pray for laughter and joy to return; for praise to overflow throughout this land.
- ● Pray for God to heal their broken hearts, for their joy to be restored, for God to bring good out of their
tragedy, and for them to experience hope again.
● ● ●
For the protection of their physical, emotional and spiritual health.
For the protection of marriages and family relationships.
For the children of the missionary families who have seen so much devastation and heard so many of the painful stories.
For unity and grace in the relationships within and among ministry teams.
For the volunteers who continue to bring the love of Christ into these areas.
For times of rest and renewal.
Ways to Pray for the Nation of Japan:
Japan is one of the least-reached nations, with less than 1% claiming to be Christian. Pray for the harvest! Pray for workers for the harvest! Luke 10:2b
Pray for an amazing outpouring of God’s spirit on this land.
Pray for praise to overflow throughout this land.
Pray against the spiritual forces that hold this land in bondage.
Bible Verses to Direct our Prayers for the Hurting in Tohoku
Psalm 34:18 – The LORD is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed. Psalms 147:3 – He heals the brokenhearted, binding up their wounds.
Matthew 5:4 – Blessed are those that mourn, for they shall be comforted.
John 14:27 – I am leaving you with a gift-peace of mind and heart! And the peace I give is not fragile like the peace the world gives. So don’t be troubled or afraid.
John 14:18 – No, I will not abandon you or leave you as orphans in the storm-I will come to you.
Psalm 46:1 – God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in times of trouble.
2 Thessalonians 2:16, 17 – May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who has loved us and
given us everlasting comfort and hope which we don’t deserve, comfort your hearts with all comfort, and help you in every good thing you say and do.
Jeremiah 31:13 – I will turn their mourning into gladness. I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4 – What a wonderful God we have-He is the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the source of every mercy, and the one who so wonderfully comforts and strengthens us in our hardships and trials.
Isaiah 60:20 – Thy sun shall no more go down; neither shall thy moon withdraw itself: for the LORD shall be your everlasting light, and the days of your mourning shall be ended.
Ps. 46: 1-3 – God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in time of trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.
Jeremiah 30-31 (All) 30:18-19 – I will restore the fortunes of Jacob’s tents and have compassion on his dwellings; the city will be rebuilt on her ruins, and the palace will stand in its proper place. From them
will come songs of thanksgiving and the sound of rejoicing. I will add to their numbers, and they will not be decreased; I will bring them honor, and they will not be disdained.
Ways to Pray for Those Serving in the Disaster Zone:
Thank you for praying for and with us!